About This Course
An ‘ABCDE’ approach to managing deteriorating patients has proved an effective method of recognising deteriorating patients in hospital. Now updated for community settings this recorded webinar takes you through the recommended approach used by Emergency Healthcare Professionals and endorsed by the BDA.
Conditions such as Asthma, Diabetes and allergies are not uncommon. Recognising when your patient is deteriorating, taking steps to prevent them getting worse and how to recognise when they have become a medical emergency will be covered in this presentation. The value of teamwork between clinical and non-clinical staff, checking emergency equipment, communication and documentation will be emphasised and demonstrated.
Areas to be discussed:
- Adult, child & infant CPR and choking, including modifications for Covid-19
- Automated external defibrillation
- Anaphylaxis; Recognition and first aid of seizures
- Acute asthma
- Chest pain & breathlessness and stroke
- Fainting and the recovery position
- Safe delivery of oxygen
- Recommended equipment for dental practice
- Useful documentation, handovers, referrals and debriefing
- What’s new in resuscitation
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in adult, child, and infant CPR techniques, as well as the appropriate response to choking incidents.
- Apply automated external defibrillation effectively in emergency situations.
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis and provide appropriate first aid measures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the recognition and first aid procedures for seizures.
- Respond appropriately to acute asthma episodes, including recognising symptoms and providing necessary assistance.
- Identify the signs of hypoglycaemia and administer appropriate aid.
- Recognise and respond to chest pain, breathlessness, and stroke incidents, implementing appropriate emergency protocols.
- Apply the principles of first aid and the recovery position when assisting individuals who have fainted.
- Safely administer oxygen and understand the guidelines for its delivery in various scenarios.
- Identify and utilise recommended equipment for dental practices, ensuring a safe and efficient environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of useful documentation practices, effective handovers, referrals, and debriefing processes.
- Stay updated on the latest advancements and techniques in resuscitation procedures.
On completion of this presentation, you will have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the ABCDE approach to effectively managing medical emergencies. You will develop the necessary skills to promptly recognise signs of patient deterioration, implement preventive measures to mitigate further deterioration, and accurately identify situations requiring immediate medical intervention.